Captain is a rank of officer in many naval services and space forces, most notably Earth Starfleet and its Federation counterpart. The title of captain is also used in a more general sense to refer to any individual, civilian or otherwise, who is the commanding officer of a ship.
Starfleet captains are sometimes referred to as "Skipper".
Captain is the most senior officer rank, a grade higher than a Commander and a grade below either Commodore or Rear Admiral in most rank structures, although some organizations will refer to a captain as a commodore in title only, to show the said captain's seniority over other captains. The Federation also once had a rank of Vice Commodore, falling below Commodore but above Captain, and a title of Fleet Captain that is considered to outrank a captain. The captain rank is roughly equivalent with the authority of a Colonel of military forces, although some militaries have an unrelated rank of Captain that is equivalent to a naval Lieutenant.
Captain's in United Federation Starfleet serve generally as a vessels commanding officer. However, there are times when a captain may not be the commanding officer of a ship, serving as a department head, Executive Officeror adjutant to an admiral or a more senior captain. 3 cases include Spock, who served as first officer under James T. Kirk onboard the USS Enterprise and USS Enterprise-A in spite of holding the rank of captain; Montgomery Scott, who served as captain of engineering on board several ships; and Geordi La Forge, who briefly served as captain of engineering onboard the USS Enterprise-E before returning to his previous rank.
- The Breen have a sort of rank or title that places a thot in control of their ships.
- In the Cardassian language, gul is a Cardassian officer rank title which, in translation to Federation Standard, is approximately equivalent to a captain.
- The Ferengi rank/title most similar to captain is DaiMon, although like much of Ferengi culture the title is distinct and different in that it carries a mercenary ethic and prices to match.
- In Klingonese, a ship's captain is referred to as HoD.
- The Romulan Star Empire has two ranks, commander (rh'iov in the Romulan language) and legate, that are analogous to a captain's standing.
- Vulcan ships refer to their commanding officer as captain as well, although they sometimes use the terminology "commander", a type of reference shared with their offshoot cousins, the Romulans.
Captain's in TFE
- Captain Aiden Wallace † First Commanding Officer USS Olympia
- Captain Arthur Norfolk Commanding Officer USS Charleston
- Captain Mackenzie Taylor First Commanding Officer USS Nautilus
- Captain Rachel King Commanding Officer USS Augustus
- Captain Talloc Hagen Commanding Officer USS Olympia
- Captain Talloc Hagen (Mirror) Commanding Officer ISS Vanguard
- Captain Eugene Maxwell Commanding Officer USS Equinox
- Captain Tobias Renshaw Commanding Officer USS Icarus & USS Nautilus
- Captain Logan Sumpter IV Commanding Officer USS Georgetown
- Captain Nathaniel Goldstrom Commanding Officer UNSC Beyond Heavens Reach
|Era||Command Division||Operations Division||Sciences Division|
|Command/Flight Operations/Strategic Operations||Security/Operations/Engineering||Medical/Science/Counselling||Intelligence|
|Federation Starfleet Ranks (2350s-2366)|
|Federation Starfleet Ranks (2360s-2370s)|
|Federation Starfleet Ranks (2370s-2380s)|
|Federation Starfleet Ranks (2386-)|
|Terran Confederacy Ranks|